Saturday, 8 July 2017

If, indeed, you still are...

"I wanted to say goodbye," said Seven.

He'd interrupted my viewing of The Crystal Maze by the simple expedient of knocking on my door. Knowing Seven, I was fully expecting him to be watching The Crystal Maze as well. Mind you, he'd probably packed his TV.

"How did you know I was going away?" I asked, nonplussed.

I can't recall telling him I was going away for a month. I may have told Six, at some point, but I can't imagine she'd have relayed the information to him. I didn't tell him where I was going, or why, or how long for. I also didn't tell him that there's an impenetrable firewall surrounding the place which makes it impossible to write my blog... but then I didn't know that at the time. (I'm not sure why I'd have told him even if I did know. He doesn't read my blog... I hope.)

There are a lot of things I didn't tell him, either. I didn't tell him that I overheard Six shouting at him almost every night. I didn't tell him that I knew he'd been unfaithful, or that Six thought he masturbated too much. I certainly didn't tell him that the only thing louder than their fights was their sex, and that by proxy I knew the raw, bestial sound that Six made. I didn't know much about him at all, other than the fact that he was easily beatable at Smash Bros., but I certainly knew too much about their relationship. 

"I'm not talking about you. We're moving out, remember?"
"Oh! Yes, of course!"
"You've been my favourite housemate ever," he said. "I'll miss you, and wish we had more time together, and..."

He held out a skinny hand, and I took it.


"I'm very flattered. What about Six? Don't you prefer her?"
"Nah," he said cheerily. "I've got to live with her."

I wasn't sure whether to laugh at this or not.
"Hey! It's that guy from The IT Crowd!" he said, indicating my TV.

He walked off into the darkness. I retreated into my room, watched the last few seconds of The Crystal Maze, and sat on the edge of my bed, deep in thought.

I opened my wallet, fingering the business cards with my blog's URL and Twitter handle... before deciding against it, tucking the cards back in, and stowing my wallet somewhere safe.

I was going away for a month. I have yet to realise how quiet it is at home.

But I expect I shall.

No comments: