Tuesday, 13 December 2016

Absence Note

At about 9:30 pm, I abandoned my efforts to stay awake for as long as possible and went for a lie-down, trying to justify this by telling myself that I was actually very sleepy and sick. I joined a gym last week and was going to go yesterday, but (given the hideous rasp that appears to have been coming from my lungs recently) I didn't think this was a good idea.

To be fair, I'd had enough with my stupid body, so I went for a lie-down.

When I awoke at 11pm, I realised that I was shivering, but genuinely didn't have the energy to get up and close the window (in fact, when I did end up closing the window, this was pointless too; I was still shivering). I lay there, inert, shuddering, helpless. It took me about twenty minutes to will my limbs into action, and even then, the only thing I did of any worth was the stripping-off of all my clothes and falling back into bed, under the covers this time.

Except I didn't get any sleep. I was red-hot under the sheets and racked with apoplectic cold shivers when out of them. I had fits of General Grievous-like coughing every time I moved, and despite how bored I was (and I was so bored!), I could hardly have sat up and done something. Sitting up hurt. And then, even when I managed to get comfortable, my pounding headache wasn't going to let me sleep anyway. Of that I was fairly certain; on account of the fact that I could do nothing but lie there and be bored, that's what I did.

For hours.

I'm not even sure that I'm awake now, to be honest. I've been struggling through a haze for a while and - while I'm sure this post had a point when I started - I'm not entirely sure what I'm trying to tell you.

I'm sick and I haven't been to the gym. There, that'll do.

No comments: