Tuesday, 21 July 2015

TMI Tuesday: "Tell me something about yourself..."

So it turns out that there's a game (well, sort of a game) where you tell everyone on the table something interesting about yourself.

You can kind of see where this is going, right?

*

1. When was the last time someone you were talking to crossed the boundary into TMI? How did you handle it?

The big boss at the place where I'm working recently found out that I'm a sex blogger (although he doesn't read my blog). He thinks it's funny (evidently!) and, for a while, inroduced me to new staff as "and this is [ILB], watch out, he's a sex pest!" followed by a noise that can only be described as "LOL".

I'm not sure if that's TMI or just a lie, as I'm far from a sex pest(!), but it was a bit OTT if not TMI! Still, it's good to see his enthusiasm.


2. When was the last time you were talking and realised you had crossed into TMI? How did the other person react? What did you do next?

See above, basically. Although he found it fascinating, in addition to amusing.

To his own credit, his "tell me something interesting" story was riveting - about hidden homosexuality in the greatest actors of our time. I mean, I'd heard most of these stories before, but the way he told them was brilliant!


3. Which subject matter is mostly TMI to you, i.e. you don’t want to hear?
a. sex
b. medical treatment or history
c. bodily functions
d. icky food
e. finances
f. political opinions
g. other – tell us

Atheism. I still find it baffling that - while radical atheists are getting at radical theists for stuffing their religion down people's throats (which I don't agree with; even as a religious boy, I've never thought evangelism is a positive step) - some (although not all) take the step into that territory themselves, occupying the same smug, self-satisfied space occupied by the "ask me about Jesus" street evangelist or hate-preaching non-Muslim Muslim.

What I'm trying to say here is that I don't want to hear it. I've heard the same argument from both sides and both seem to be lacking substance. And both sides also claim to promote tolerance! How does that work, then?


4. Do you ever entice people into TMI, such as try to get them to share something that should be private?

Erm... I'm not sure how to answer that one.

Okay, so. I'm a chatterbox. I like to talk and I like to hear people talk and I do love a good conversation when the mood strikes me. And "TMI", whatever that may be, always seems to be the most interesting way to get a conversation started, or make it amusing (depending on how the story is relayed). But I'm not sure I really try to elicit TMI from people. It just tend to find me instead.


5. Do you enjoy swapping TMI tales – “I’ll tell you mine if you tell me yours?”

Oh yes, of course I do. Last week I ended up in a room with all my colleagues (who were drinking beers and ciders and other things I know nothing about) and we were swapping these stories all and sundry. I've got a yarn about thongs shaped like elephants which I've been dying to share since I got here; it took about five minutes before I started it...


Bonus: How do you feel about Pope Francis embracing “climate change” science?

Love it. I love most things about Pope Francis; he's not perfect, but he's the most progressive Pope for generations - a real man of the people and exactly what the Catholic Church needed after the hard-nosed and conservative Benedict.

Taking on the climate change battle was a brave move and a smart one from someone with so much influence.

No comments: