Saturday, 25 April 2015

Finding Out

"ILB!"
"Yes, mother dear?"
"You know everything!"
"Go on..."
"Okay, so I was reading Of Mice and Men last night, and there's this phrase that Lenny says, and I think there's something based on it, and I don't know what the thing is that's based on it, if it's a reference, or..."

I've never read Of Mice and Men. But I don't think that's any indication that I don't know much about pop culture. Or references. I had no idea that "help me, Earthworm Jim, you're my only hope" was a reference to Star Wars for about three years.

"Go on..."
"It's something like... He is my something and I shall call him something or something..."
"Finding Nemo! I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine and he shall be my Squishy!"
"FANTASTIC! I've been wondering about that all night!"


I could still hear her rhapsodising about it to my dad as I wandered through to the kitchen in search of coffee.

And was very pleased to have resisted the urge to add that my second girlfriend used to say that about my penis.

Because, you know, references.

2 comments:

Sati said...

Just out of curiosity, what would your mum have said if you HAD made the second girlfriend remark?

I don't know if you've read any Steinbeck that isn't Of Mice and Men (definitely not his best, IMO) but if you haven't, you might enjoy him. I particularly recommend Cannery Row. Your writing reminds me a little of his, actually - it's that odd blend of melancholy, cheerfulness and nostalgia that you somehow make work for you.

Innocent Loverboy said...

I have no idea what she'd have said - my mum has shown signs ranging from being a bit of a prude to being cheerfully laissez-faire about such things. I doubt I'd've got anything other than a sincere frown, or perhaps a reproachful "that's too much information!". Who knows?

I wasn't going to try.

I haven't actually read anything at all by Steinbeck. I can't say I've ever really had the interest - which is weird, because I tend to read absolutely anything I can lay my hands on (you should see the pile of books 'to be read' on my bedside table), but that one author has just kind of passed me by. Maybe one day.

I think some classes did Steinbeck at school - my English class didn't, we read something else maudlin.

But, as always, thank you for your lovely comments about my writing... even if I don't get the comparison, as such!