Sunday, 2 November 2014

The Future is Now!

"I saw Robinson and Lovely's new house the other day," I ejaculated, causing my conversation companion to blink a little. It was a truck-driver's gear change in subject, being as how we'd both been talking about our respective paid employment - his increasing in difficulty and fulfilment, mine going in exactly the other direction and currently resembling the City of Dis in Dante's Inferno.
"Isn't it just Lovely's house?" he clarified.
"Well, technically I suppose it is, but he's living there now, as you know," I acquiesced. "And, y'know what, it's really nice! Big, airy, spacious. Nice neighbourhood."
"How many bedrooms is it?"
"Oh... well, it's two bedrooms, I think... I didn't see much of upstairs, except the bathroom. We spent most of the time playing games on the Wii."

There was a pause.

"It's strange, all these people getting married, isn't it?" said the young raver, cocking his head to the side, his quiff managing to stay perpendicular as he did so. "We had the first wedding..."
"...my friend-who-is-a-nurse and MTH," I supplied.
"...and the second one, two days later..."
"...yeah, that was an interesting weekend..."
"...and then Robinson and Lovely this year. And that's it, isn't it?"

I furrowed my brow. Was that it? Who else is getting married soon... that the young raver would know about? 47. Has he met 47? Okay, he has. But will be remember this? No, not really. Bunny and Silver...? Yes, they're getting married at some point, so I hear. But he's not going to know either of them (well, I don't think he does, anyway). I knew there was another one, but I just couldn't get it. It was on the tip of my tongue...

"Oh! WBBW and her boyfriend!" I came up with. "They're getting married... and soon... in  Newcastle!"
"Oh yes! Scene girl went up there to see them. I thought they were still in... Norwich? Newport? Norfolk?"
"Norway," I supplied.

"Norway, that's it," nodded the young raver. "So that's it... that'll be the next wedding. And the last one, I suppose, for some time."

I reminded him that Mane still has a girlfriend and they're looking to take out a mortgage; my hairy friend has been married and living in Pennsylvania for about three years now; Mane Jr. is now living residentially at the place where he works during the week; my friend-who-is-a-teacher is now ensconced firmly in her little Hertfordshire bubble; my friend-who-is-a-midwife is now working and soon to be living in Southwark; scene girl is working so hard we rarely ever see her; and my sister - the last I heard - is still alive, and sleeping with yet another random person I've never met.

Which leaves...

"You're single, aren't you?"
"Yeah..." he said. "And I'm not planning to get married or move out any time soon," he added with a mischievous grin.


The train pulled in at the station and I bid him farewell with a wave and a swift nod. As I descended into the tube, I added a silent but sincere thanks that there's at least one person among us who hsn't been lost to the winds of time...

...yet.

No comments: