Monday, 30 December 2013

V2

My new year's resolution lasts a month: I'm going vegan for the month of January. Fair enough, this also has the potential to become permanent, but I'm starting with 31 days, and we'll see how this goes. My reasons for this? They are numerous, but they boil down to this:

1) Ease. I'm already a strict vegetarian: I have been since the age of nine. Being vegan doesn't really change my diet that radically - it basically cuts out dairy products and honey. I can't actually think of anything else I eat with any alarming frequency that I would need to avoid in a vegan diet. If anyone can think of anything, add it in a comment and I'll probably end up telling you that I don't eat that anyway. Not only am I vegetarian, I'm fussy.

2) Morality. I don't get off on being a vegetarian as much as I do actually campaigning about animal rights, which I do anyway. So, in terms of morality, going vegan is mostly for myself.

3) Health. As I said in this year's FAQ, my health has declined exponentially, and I'd like to be able to continue adequate movement, at least by Eroticon! One way of doing this would be to follow a diet which is, reportedly, healthier than most. As I'm abundantly aware, I eat a lot of cheese, and cheese is dairy, so I'd have to go without. This may not do much for taste (although I both know and like vegan cheese substitute, so I'll go and get some of that!), but it's likely to help with health. Any vegans reading this who have health tips, feel free to share them in the comments, too.

4) Fun. I, and I don't know if this will be surprising or not, love to cook, and (although my dad does the majority of cooking here at SH) I have a collection of vegan recipes from various books and websites. That, and a lot of the stuff I cook could easily be altered to become a vegan dish anyway. So I'm looking forward to experimenting with cooking vegan food!

5) Hummus. Just because.

So, anyway, that's what I'm doing this January. If anyone is willing to share recipes, by all means do. I'm willing to try them out, as long as they don't contain mushrooms!

[*I don't like mushrooms.]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gay!

Innocent Loverboy said...

Uhm...

Anonymous said...

I applaud you, sir! I tried going vegan, but there are certain things I missed too much (Yogurt! Honey!). Good luck =)
xRhye

Innocent Loverboy said...

With a name like "Rhye", I'd have thought vegan food would be your sort of thing...!

I didn't eat much honey anyway, and yoghurt wasn't really something I could afford. The main thing I miss is cheese, but I've just bought a couple of blocks of vegan cheese, so that shouldn't be a problem.

It's not been difficult so far, anyway. I had warm pitta bread stuffed with salad for lunch today, and that was great!

x