Thursday, 30 May 2013

In the flesh

Jilly took her place, up on the podium. She looked nervous and scared. I'd told her, over and over again, that she would be fine. She was among friends, and the story she'd chosen to read was a good one. Her best, she had said (although I didn't agree - there are others I prefer). As pleased and proud as she was of this piece of fiction, I could feel she was nervous about reading it out. I sat at the back and watched her, Bunny White and Dorian Silver there to offer support, friendship and kisses (between each other - hey, it's what I noticed!).

She opened her mouth, offered an introduction and then dived straight into her story. And aced it.

The audience were appreciative. They laughed at the funny bits, clapped at the end and gave her the appropriate amount of love for such a performance. She tottered back to our seat and sat down next to me. I gave her the thumbs-up, wishing that I had enough voice left to offer more of a congratulation. But I think she got the message. After a couple of drinks, a bit of burlesque featuring Medusa (erm...), a goodbye to Bunny and Silver and a climb up the stairs, we walked off into Soho, ending up in Fopp, wherein I bought a box set of Girls for her and Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! for myself.

Maybe a rather inglorious ending to an evening, and the resulting mix between cold and 'flu didn't help either. But, for the first edition of an event into which a lot of planning had gone, I thought at least one light should go on for every leading lady.

TL;DR? I liked In The Flesh's first London event, I'm pleased with how my girlfriend read out her piece, and maybe one day I'll get the chance to do so myself as well!

3 comments:

Ladypandorah said...

I'm so glad to hear it went well! Very sad to miss it, but hopefully this will be the first of many more readings by the lovely Jilly.

LP x
(Hope that you're feeling better soon)

spacebunnykink said...

Sorry to hear that you are feeling so ill! You and Jilly looked a bit run down when we saw you.

It was a brilliant reading and I was so glad that Silver and I could be there for support. Hope we weren't too distracting with all the kissing. I'd been in less than 48 hours (I say as though we have slowed down on the snogging at all).

Innocent Loverboy said...

@LP: Thanks. It's not been easy with all this illness, but as with all illness, it will pass.

@SB: It was good to see you too. Maybe we can have another meetup before you go, if you can cajole Silver into it!