Thursday, 13 December 2012

Casanova

I can hear steps.

When 47 invited me to stay for a few days at his flat in southern Germany, I was initially uncertain about the reality of actually going. I didn't have much faith in my new job giving me time off during my second week. Initially my boss said that wad fine, but as it turned out, I didn't really pass my trial week (although I'm pretty sure that's not my fault, but can't complain, really) - so I got to come here either way, really.

Or, as 47 put it, I lost my job* before the week when I was planning to go to Germany, so "everything turned out for the best". Yeah.

Staying in this flat is a very odd mix of geekery, bilingualism, a kitchen small enough to surmise it could have once been an airing cupboard, a hacked Wii, sleeping on a sofa too small for me, subsisting on Mario Party, and pretty guitar music, mostly (if not entirely) from 47's lovely Italian girlfriend, who both practices and teaches the instrument. As an example of just how geeky this place is, though, I refer you back to the title of this post... which is the name for one of the WiFi networks they have here.

One of them. There are two. In the same flat.

Looking out of the window I can see a flurry of snow, German citizens going about their daily business in stupid hats (and in one case an umbrella) looking as if being snowed on is something that happen to them on a daily basis. But, upon reflection, it probably does. I saw none of the stuff in North London, but here I an in Central Europe and you could build a house out of the stuff. This does, of course, explain the initially confusing gesture of 47's girlfriend's mother giving me the gift of a thermal vest. But I can see the point. Or feel it, rather. 

I'm passing time by keeping in contact with various people around the globe via various mediums including, but not limited to, e-mail, MSN, Skype and Twitter, although intermittently. But Casanova does the job of keeping my BlackBerry WiFi'd up sufficiently enough to tweet so's I'm not spending €3,000,000 per text. Which is nice. I've also written a song which I shall, at some point, demo with the other two musicians who live here; I did try and think of a subject with was off-the-wall and unusual, but ended up with snow.

So there's that.

I can hear steps sometimes, which must be coming from elsewhere in the building - this mostly happens when I'm in the bathroom, which doesn't have a lock, hence my feeling on red alert some of the time. But mostly, I'm feeling relaxed, lying back on this computer chair listening to Bach on acoustic guitar and talking to my girlfriend on Twitter, trying to decide what I want to suggest we have for dinner - following up on yesterday's home-made pizza and the baked sweet potatoes we had for lunch.

Nice work if you can get it, right?

* Losing jobs is something that happens to me a lot. It's not something I'm going to talk about much on this blog any more... although I'll mention it when I do get one that lasts for more than a few days. But I needed to mention it here.

No comments: