Monday, 17 September 2012

Beast

Baby, you light up my world like nobody else
The way that you flip your hair gets me overwhelmed
But when you smile at the ground it ain't hard to tell
You don't know you're beautiful
That's what makes you beautiful


Beauty is not subjective, nor is it only skin deep. It's not even a happy medium between the two. I've always maintained that everyone is beautiful in their own way, and that the fabled "eye of the beholder" relates to someone's ability to identify either inner or outer beauty (or both), and not boil it down to purely aesthetic qualities.

Don't worry, this isn't a rant about glossy magazine models being identified as beauties, far from it. Many of them are physically beautiful - or at least in our culture, they are. And that's important. I'm not going to pretend it isn't. However, I'm sure some of them are superficial inside, and some are deep. That's how people work... I'm friends with a model who is both aware and pleased of the fact that she is incredibly good-looking. Stunning, even. But she's much more than that - and was assigned the nickname Pug by one of her friends, of which she is pleased. Much more than meets the eye, then.

I was told once (by a girl who asked me to pick a random word from a bowl) that I need to turn my eye to appreciate beauty in all things. This has the inherent danger of turning me into a flower child, hugging trees (even though I occasionally do hug trees, but that's not what I mean!) and rolling in fields of daisies (although that sounds nice too) while singing Colours of the Wind and inviting people to join me in my evening meal of mung beans stewed in a billycan.* But, to be fair, she had a point. I do try and look for beauty wherever I go, and yet sometimes it's staring me right in the face and I'm completely ignoring it.

I need to appreciate it more. I need to love the beauty of words, the beauty of art, and the beauty that's both on the outside and the inside of people. Because, just as everyone has their own concept of beauty, everyone has their own beauty, too. And when you've got it... well... you may as well flaunt it.

* Not a stereotype. I genuinely know people who do this.

No comments: