Thursday, 21 June 2012

Family Bonding

"There's one more thing I wanted to ask you," I said. "Remind me why you decided to review 50 Shades of Grey?"
"Because everyone was talking about it," said my sister, who writes book reviews.
"Everyone's talking about Michael Gove," I replied, "and barely anyone wants to even think about him."
"It's the eyes - his cold, dead eyes."
"No, that's George Osborne. Only they're all one and the same now, it seems."
"All in this together."

We both laughed.

"Okay, so, 50 Shades of Grey?"
"It's shit."
"I know it is. I've read the review. I don't know if you read sex blogs, but I do, and a lot of them are up in arms about it - well, mostly because it's shit. But also because it's failed Twilight fanfiction..."
"It's not even failed. She just changed the names and took out all the vampire bits."
"That too. And it portrays BDSM - pretty inaccurately, by all accounts. Although I haven't read it, but you have."
"Yeah, there's BDSM."
"I don't know how much you know about BDSM, but..."
"Oh, a lot."
"Me too."

Pause.

"Is it accurate?"
"No."
"Oh. Good."

Another pause.

"Where do you want to go for lunch?"

2 comments:

Jess Carlson said...

Ahh, those cherished moments of family bonding lol

Innocent Loverboy said...

"That damn book."