Tuesday, 25 October 2011

TMI Tuesday: Random... truly random

This will have to do. I'm tired and a bit grumpy and college is wearing me out after a mere two days. So this takes the place of a real post for now.

1. Name 5 things you did more of before social networking (Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, etc.).

- Internet fora
- IRC
- ICQ
- E-mail
- MSN

Social networking came in when I was just leaving secondary school. Faceparty appeared for a while when I was in the Upper Sixth, and for a moment, everyone started using it, replacing personal homepages with social networking. Friendster came along a bit later, but I don't think that really took off too much. It basically killed all other forms of Internet communication, though; some fora and chatrooms still run, while IM programs still operate, but they are rarely used in comparison to something like Twitter, the most valuable communication tool I know.

I genuinely do miss the days wherein you could send an actual physical e-mail to a computer games company and it would be answered by a genuine interesting person. But that was also back in the days wherein they came in those beautiful large boxes. Ahhhh.


2. Your house is on fire, what do you grab as you run out?

Probably my computer. No, actually, definitely my computer. With Oxford riding on it. I'd also probably grab a dressing gown too as I'd probably be naked or something.


3. Are you a morning person or a night owl?

I am a night owl, when it comes to most things, although that's most probably due to debilitating insomnia forcing me to be a night owl. I'm a morning person when it comes to writing essays though, as with warm pyjamas, hot chocolate and a croissant with apricot jam, essay writing really doesn't seem too bad at all.

a. What time did you go to bed last night?
11pm. It was too late for me to go to bed, but it was in fact my usual bedtime. I shouldn't do that tonight, though.

b. What time did you wake up today?
I'm not sure. I didn't get much sleep and the amount of sleep I did get kept being interrupted by things. I was awake when my alarm went off at 7, but I'm assuming I was awake from about 5ish. I was absolutely shattered when I went into college this morning and wasn't even sure if I'd make it through the day. Fortunately, I did.


4. A kid comes up to you and kicks you in the shin, what do you do?

Curl up on the floor and cry, probably. I don't do well with pain.


5. What three things do you never leave the house without?

I can't think of three. If I'm taking my bag with me, it's my keys (as they're in my bag and they never leave) and my bag. And whatever's in it. It I'm not taking my bag, then there's no guarantee it will be anything. I usually travel light and take with me what I need, so often it's just my wallet, or my 'phone, or my iPod. It's been all three on occasion and on those occasions my trousers have the knack for falling down due to the weight in my pockets.

Back when I was 17 and 18, I used to travel to Birmingham pretty much every weekend or so. I took with me a little black box you used to put 7" singles in. This carried wallet, phone, keys, one change of clothes, CD player, earphones, coach tickets and a selection of a few CDs, and was perfectly adequate. 7"2 is a lot of space when you think about it.

I take my bag to college. Apart from books and folders and stuff, it's got my wallet, BlackBerry, keys, iPod and red headphones, student ID card and season Travelcard in it. I think that's all I need, really. Oh, and lunch.


Bonus: Name a place that you visited last week that you’ve never visited before. Briefly tell us about the visit.

Coco de Mer. I'm really not that much of an expert in sex shops, but a week and a day ago I visited Coco de Mer nevertheless, for the purposes of review! I was struck by actually how high-class it appeared in comparison to most of the seedy ones under Soho. I've still never bought anything from a sex shop though, and never intend to. Not even if it looks as nice as this one.

No comments: